Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Domestic Church

Hey Guys!


This has been a very productive lent for myself. I gave up Facebook, and I seem to have found SO much more time for creativity and those home projects that desperately need to be done. I have been doing alot of reflecting and re-evaluating the way I do things (doing it better or more efficiently etc.)

I have COMPLETELY redone my living room. ( I Will do a post later on it once I'm done with all the nitty gritty details)

which seriously needed some TLC.In a word eyesore! Not really, but It was the room I have done the least with since being married. Being on the home decor kick overload mode,  I have being looking at alot of DIY projects, and then a thought struck me.

Instead of focusing on floral prints or whether this khaki matches that khaki (yeah)

I should focus more on the Religious year "seasons"

Don't misunderstand me, I do have religious icons, statues, crucifixes. after all, the family IS the "Domestic church".

For example:

Being's it's Palm Sunday I will shortly be pulling out my purple cloth (was a sheet) and covering all religious items in the house to give the home a somber and mournful tone. Believe me, the moment you walk in a room, you notice it- it helps my family and I to really feel the spirit of this holy week. Easter Sunday when the purple comes down, just adds to it for all of us, even the Hubs notices a difference.

I am SOOOO excited about the dining table centerpiece for Easter that I am in the process of putting together. Here is a picture of the inspiration diy showoff did:


Isn't it GAWGEOUS!?!?!
I will put "He is risen" on the hanging eggs instead of Happy Easter.
I just love that phrase, and what a great way to use it, don't you agree?



So I have been on the hunt to find more liturgical items for the home, to use for every different season. It is a fun and challenging project!

So my question to you all is, what is your approach and method to home decor and how do you incorporate the faith into your life??.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea, Kat! One thing my in-laws always do for Lent is give up TV - so they cover all of the televisions with a purple cloth. My mother-in-law also has a crown of thorns and some railroad spikes that she puts on the table during Lent.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from others. Please leave your email address so I know how to contact you.